Re: TR6 windscreen frame removal

To: Andy <adixon@loudoun.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 windscreen frame removal
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:38:01 -0500
Cc: John Duhart <DUHART@symbol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On 01/19/98 02:35 PM John Duhart said...

               ~edited~

>Hey All,
>
>  I need to raise/remove the
windscreen frame so I can slide the dash top underneeth it.   The frame won't
lift out.  What else should I do?  Is it rusted in place?  Help!

>Later,
>JHD IV

Then, Andy repleid:

          ~edited~

> John,
> There's probably mastic sealer under the windscreen-body seal. I took mine
> out several years ago (different TR6) I vaguely remember putting the nut
> back on and hitting the bolts under the dash. It'd not a good idea because
> you could lose your windscreen.

>   John,

   I don't know about the mastic, but on my TR 250 the right stud was rusted in.
Quite badly.  I  also took the route of "putting the nut back on and hitting the
bolts under the dash"  I didn't break the windscreen ( because it was already
out), but I did mangle the stud end so much, that I had to cut it off, drill,
tap, and
reinstall a new one in.
  One thing I did that helped the most was to get a small cut-off wheel in there
to cut a length wise slot into the bracket.  I then pried open the slot, and the
frame slowly moved up& out.  I luckily only had one side stuck bad enough
to need this repair, as it was very difficult working upside down in the cramped
space available.  I then had to find a used bracket, since new cost $35. (the
used
one cost $5)
  Most likely your car won't be this rusted.  My car had a water leak at the
windscreen frame/ body seal that allowed water to trickle onto this bracket.
The other side (left) was semi stuck because it seemed like the paint was wet
when the w/frame was slid into the bracket, and they dried together.
  I am just telling you this to show it may be a problem.  Just rember to take
your
time & and make sure you have loosened BOTH bolts at the top.

       Good Luck,

                                        JOE IV
                                        TR 250
                              WALLINGFORD, CT USA