Sandblasting Cabinets

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sandblasting Cabinets
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:30:18 -0600
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Brad.Kahler@pop.141.com>
I would like to add a few comments to the sandblasting thread of a
few days ago.

I made the TIP cabinet from the plans they provided.  Here are some
things to keep in mind while using it.

1)      Have a good shop vac or the vac that TIP sells attached to the
cabinet.  Without a vac the cabinet is always dusty inside, using a
vac makes all the difference in the world.

2)      Buy the Inner Lens Protectors from TIP.  I already have to replace
my tempered glass lens because of pitting.  The lens protectors are
less than half the cost of tempered glass.  I wish I had done so the
first time.  This occured after probably 30 hours of actual use in
the cabinet.

3)      Make sure your cabinet door has easy release clamps of some kind.
I have to redesign mine because its a pain to get into the cabinet.

4)      Install 2 flood lights instead of the one shown.  This would
definitely help as the lens because foggy from pits and dust.

5)      Make sure the cabinet is built to a comfortable height for YOU.  I
had to adjust mine several times before I stopped getting back aches.

6)      The higher the SCFM rating of your cabinet the faster things will
go.  Mine is a 5HP 15SCFM compressor and does fine.  Although it does
run about 65% of the time.

7)      I picked up a plastic 55 gal barrel and cut it down to just fit
under the bottom funnel of the cabinet.  I also cut two hand holds in
the barrel.  This holds the entire contents of the cabinet when its
time to dump and change.

 If built according to TIP's plans the cabinet works great.  I would
be lost without it.

I have no interest in TIP just a satisfied customer.

Brad

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1964 TR4                 (coming soon!)
1951 Dodge Truck   82217766  B-3-B-108