Re: Sandblasting Cabinets

To: "Andy" <amdixon@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting Cabinets
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 07:11:36 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Brad.Kahler@pop.141.com>
Andy,

> Did TIP provide these plans for a price or did they come with a
> sandblaster you bought? Asking because I'd be interested in building
> one myself. Already own a sandblaster though.
>

> Andy

Here's a list of the materials you have to buy, I took this off
their plans.

0)      Plans                                                           $7.50
1)      2 sheets 3/4 x 4x8 plywood                              $50
2)      2 - 2x2 10' long                                                $5
3)      3 pieces of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle 10' long                $15
4)      expanded metal 24 x 34                          $10
5)      4 hinges                                                        $5
6)      Siphon tube (buy theirs, it works great)                $22
7)      Tempered glass 12 x 24                          $18
8)      cabinet gloves (I bought theirs)                        $24
9)      Siphon tube hose 36" x 5/8                              $3
10)     Door latch                                                      $5
11)     foam gasket for door                                    $5
12)     foam gasket for glass                                   $5
13)     lighting supplies - spotlight                           $15
14)     Bottom trap door spring (I didn't do this)
15)     Vacuum (very important)(good shop vac)
16)     Blasting gun                                            $45
17)     wood screws
18)     Nails
19)     screws
20)     Glove flanges for mounting to cabinet           $9

Your biggest expense is the compressor and since you already have
one the worst is over.

You can make the cabinet with hand power tools and
misc hand tools.  I think as long as you follow their directions you
can't go wrong.  Well worth the trouble to make.  Took me about 2
days to build it.  I haven't used glass bead yet, although I have
some.  I'm still in the rust removal stage on my dodge truck.
However it will get another workout when I start my TR4.

One thing I found real important, at least here in Nebraska, was a
real good moisture trap.  I had troubles off and on because of the
humid summer until I put one on.  Then problems went away.

Hope this helps

Brad

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1964 TR4                 (coming soon!)