RE: local phone Co. info NO LBC CONTENT BUT VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!

To: "'DSpoff2660'" <DSpoff2660@aol.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: local phone Co. info NO LBC CONTENT BUT VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:07:34 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
It sounds to me like you have metered service. It doesn't matter whether you
are on a modem or talking to Mom, you get billed by the minute.  Some areas
of the US now have metered service, you can probably buy unlimited local
service for a price, but the default plan is probably the meter.

This was discussed in Georgia a few years ago and rejected by the Public
Service Comm.  A "lifesaver" rate is made available that is metered but is
intended as cheap service for the elderly as a lifeline. The PSC rigidly
requires BellSouth to maintain Atlanta as the largest local toll free area
in the country. Basic no frills service begins at about $20.00 per month.

ISDN lines are now metered, but you can buy unlimited service for a price.
I get unlimited at the old rate of $65.00 per month, but am grandfathered
under the old tariff. I can make no changes to my service or I will lose my
grandfather status and become metered.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com   non illegitimus carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK