Re: Carb rebuild

To: camhi@symbol.COM
Subject: Re: Carb rebuild
From: MMDBR <MMDBR@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:28:57 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Alan -

If you have the Haynes or Bentley manual they should pretty much walk you
through rebuilding your carbs. My 63 TR4 has the SU's and there wasn't much to
rebuilding them.

Any decent parts store will have carburetor wash - I think Permatex makes a
good product. Use rubber gloves as it's very caustic.

One thing to check is where the butterfly enters the carb body. Do this by
having the car idle, then squirt some carb cleaner at that spot. If engine
speed increases, buy the kit from TRF and have a machine shop do the necessary
work.

Finally, get ye to the nearest Triumph club! There'll be more expertise there
than you can imagine! For example, our club is having a carb rebuild clinic as
our March event.

Good luck - carbs are NOT all that tough.

Mike Blonder
Elmhurst, IL   USA