RE: Dismantling U-Joints

To: "'Keith Taylor'" <taylor@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>, "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Dismantling U-Joints
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:01:22 -0700
Hi Keith,

Just did this on mine and here is what I did. Get a wide chisel (not a
wood chisel with a sharp blade but one of those chisels that look like a
flat wide punch). With this you can drive out the caps by placing the
chisel on the spider of the u-joint at the center of the cross and
tapping on the chisel with a hammer. Do this on both sides of each
spider. Eventually you will see the cap sliding out. Once you have one
cap out, you can just tap on the end of the spider which is exposed to
get the opposite cap out. Then just do this for the other two caps.

I am not sure if this description is clear enough (it may seem clear to
me because I did it recently) but if not, feel free to ask for more
specifics.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada