Re: Dismantling U-Joints

To: Keith Taylor <taylor@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Dismantling U-Joints
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:54:36 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Keith Taylor wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded!
>
> I've got two of the U-joints dismantled. Four more to go. The
> sockets/C-clamp, plus additional banging with the mallet did the trick.
>
> -Keith
>
> > use the old socket trick, one socket that has an od smaller than the
> > bearing cap and another socket with an id larger than the opposite
> > bearing cap, put the smaller one in one side and the larger one on the
> > other side and use either a vice (bench press for you old machineists)
> > or a 6 inch c-clamp to push the bearing cap out the other side. hitting
> > them only causes sore thumbs and frustration.
> >
> > larry

Larry ... hammering on u-joints is a bad idea, because their shape is critical
to their
functioning.  You'd be surprised how little hammering it takes to distort the
yokes,
making it impossible to fit new joints that have no stiffness.  If after
putting in the
new joints, they are stiff, you will need to experiment with tapping the yokes
in
various places (opposite where the joints are binding) to return the
flexibility to the
joints.

I wouldn't have believed this unless I saw my LBC mechanic do it on the first
yokes I
hammered on ...

--
Martin Secrest