Re: Parts cleaning options

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org, dmericas@limno.com
Subject: Re: Parts cleaning options
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:59:21 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-03-18 11:57:18 EST, gpetrola@prairienet.org (Gregory
Petrolati) writes:

<<  In the bad old days, I'd just scrub them down with gasoline in a tub,
 > and dump the mess out in the back 40.  This is no longer an option,
 > so I'd like some advice on prefered alternatives that can be
 > practically employed in my home garage/shop.

        I would go with Kerosene... It degreases very well, its not
        nearly as volitile as gasoline. When it gets REALLY dirty take it
        to a local jiffy lube or gas station and they will send it on with
        the recycled petroleum distillates...

I discovered that the local solvent services which rent tanks and solvent to
commercial garages use mineral spirits and have been using it for several
years myself.  It is the same as paint thinner, but cheaper, can be bought in
any home supply store and is less volatile than kerosene.  The services
redistill it and reuse it.  It is possible to rent a tank from the a service
who will then supply the solvent also.  OK for a real intensive work schedule
but I bought one of the $100 solvent tanks with an air driven pump, works
great for me.  I usually disassemble, put the parts in the tank to 'marinate'
for awhile, then scrub.

Hope this helps.
Bob Paul