Re: Parts cleaning options

To: Dean Mericas <dmericas@limno.com>
Subject: Re: Parts cleaning options
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:35:34 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dean Mericas wrote:

> I have gotten pretty far into the disassembly of the TRs engine, and
> I am faced with the problem of how to clean the grease and oil off of
> all the parts.  I've got everything from the block and transmission
> to lots of smaller bits and pieces to deal with.
>
> In the bad old days, I'd just scrub them down with gasoline in a tub,
> and dump the mess out in the back 40.  This is no longer an option,
> so I'd like some advice on prefered alternatives that can be
> practically employed in my home garage/shop.
>
> Thanks.
> Dean Mericas
> 1965 TR4 (CT37089L)
> 1988 Saab 900S
> 1991 Saab 9000T
Dean, I use detergent based degreasers, and they work fine. Castrol has
one (the name escapes me) that comes in a spray bottle, cuts grease
really well. Available at any car parts place. I also use one called
CitriSolve. Its made from ornage peel oils, and is an unbeliveable
grease cutter. I use it with my compressor and a siphon sprayer for
cleaning engines. Non flammable and it's sold in many department stores
and auto sullpliers.