Re: new member

To: BBURNS@HWS.EDU
Subject: Re: new member
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:40:04 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996 BBURNS@HWS.EDU wrote:

> ...I am looking to purchase my first
> triumph and I was wondering if I could get some advice from the list.
> The car is '68 GT6.  No body rust that I could see, no jack available.
> Runs strong but Tranny as expected is bad.  All glass, trim, gauges are
> fine.  It has been off road for two years and stored in garage.  No
> rust on firewall or at base of bonett.  The man is asking $700 and I have
> been hesitating due to tranny and my limited first hand knowledge.
> Any suggestions and price evaluations?
> Brad

If, cosmetically, it's as good as seems to be, and the body is straight
and solid, that might be a fairly good price.

The transmission is bad how? Does it not go into gear, get stuck in
gear, sound horrible, or just not shift well? Vague shifting or an
extremely wobbly shift lever could be nothing more than the ~$20 shift
bushing kit. OTOH, GT6 trannies do seem to be prone to failure, but
outfits such as:

John Kipping Triumph Spares
Parrots Grove
421 Aldermans Green Road
Coventry CV2 1NP
(UK+44) 1203 645333
(UK+44) 1203 645030 - fax

Can set you up with a rebuilt one, likely for well under $500 delivered
to your door (much cheaper than most American Triumph suppliers can).

The early GT6 is basically a wonderful car that might benefit from some
suspension updating (Spitfire-style rear "swing-spring" and fatter front
sway bar, etc.) Tell us where exactly you are (I'll guess by your
address you're somewhere in Central New York) and perhaps we can find
someone on this list or someone in a local Triumph club that might be
able to give you further assistance.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *