RE: Churchill Hub Puller Tool

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Churchill Hub Puller Tool
From: PiJay@t-online.de (Peter Juergens)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 96 09:00 +0100
Hi all!

Want to share some experience with you...

Some years ago I did a 1967 TR4A, live axle, too !

Yes I also tried a 20 ton hydraulic press, at the FORD's garage,...nothing!
I visited the garage next door (IVECO-Trucks and Leopard-Tanks!!), their
hydraulic press ranged up to 120 tons. One hub came off at 40 tons and the
guyat the machine (sweated through allready) stopped work on the other hub just
over 60 tons!!! He told me, that the tank-hubs will come off easily near 45
tons.
Now something surprising( maybe gravity is different here and on your side):
Both hubs remained straight, but both axles had a bent thread!!

I allways thought about the Churchill Hub Puller as a "poor" tool, (only visual)
but after reading your articles, there must be something with it, to make the
hub go...

Thought:
 IMO, there is the necessity to pull exactly straight, to support the hub well
and to apply the force in the center of the axle!

These 3 points are not allways given on a standard puller or a hydraulic press,
I think.

Any other opinions ?

BFN
     Pete