new member

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: new member
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:39:52 -0600
BB>I wanted to introduce myself being a new member.  My name is Bradley Burns
BB>and I live in Geneva, NY.  I have wanted a triumph since I rode in a
BB>brand new white '70 or '71 TR6.  I collect a variety of cars but yet to
BB>own a triumph.  I currently have Porsche, SAAB sonett, '50 Buick Jetback,
BB>'53 pontiac chieftan, '56 Ford F100.  I am looking to purchase my first
BB>triumph and I was wondering if I could get some advice from the list.
BB>The car is '68 GT6.  No body rust that I could see, no jack available.
BB>Runs strong but Tranny as expected is bad.  All glass, trim, gauges are
BB>fine.  It has been off road for two years and stored in garage.  No
BB>rust on firewall or at base of bonett.  The man is asking $700 and I have
BB>been hesitating due to tranny and my limited first hand knowledge.
BB>Any suggestions and price evaluations?
BB>Brad

Brad,
 For your neck of the woods, GT6 is an excellent chioce.
 I have a 68 with a "built" engine that is soon to be swapped for a
fresh "built" TR6 engine.
 The price is greta, needing tranny or not.
 You have several options on the transmixer, the best of which is, when
replacing it with pre-73 TR6. Cost is not prohibitive.
 These cars are prone to rust at the rocker and the rocker sill cap
right behind the front wheels.
 Also, be sure to check inside along the "A" post at the floor.
 One of te worst weak spot is the battery box. Even if it looks good,
there is a panel on the inside up against the firewall, passenger side.
 This panel is prone to somehow corroding from battery "juices" htat
leak down in what would look like a sealed battery box.
 The Mk I's (66,67,68) all had swing arm rear suspension, later Mk II
went to rotoflex.
 There is considerable disagreement about which is better, but I think
it ultimately comes down to your planned use of the car.
 I take great enjoyment in the owners of "open" Triumphs saying it's too
cold to drive. , when the GT6 seems to be at its peak in cold weather
and snuggly warm.
 As a matter of fact, the "snuggly warm" gets almost unbearable during
the Summer, no fresh air intake you know.
 I have created a powered fresh air intake that has really been a big
help for Summer driving.
 If the car you are loking at is as good at it sounds, I would say go
for it.
Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"   4 of 'em
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com