Spitfire engine swap?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire engine swap?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 08:07:49 -0700
> If anyone out there has any stories that they
> would like to tell about doing an engine swap
> in a Spitfire I would like to hear them.  I  am
> particulary interested in suspension and rearend
> modifications to handle LOTS more HP <snip>
Lots of horse power is a relative thing,  Lots of HP in a Spitfire is 160 hp
and a properly set up Spitfire swing spring, with Quaffie carrier, and
modified/strengthened axles will probably handle that much.  On the other
hand how much money/time/effort do you want to put into this project,  I've
installed a Ford 2600 V6/tranny, and modified my rear end using TR6/GT6/TR7
components, mostly because I wanted the increased handling and braking that
a fully independent rear end allows.  This entire conversion took a LOT of
time and effort, but Iv'e enjoyed it,  This car is not a hack job either.  I
believe in mods, that unless you are familliar with the car, the average
person can't tell you modified it.  I love to hear the phrase "I didn't
realize that Triumph made one of these?"  The Ford engine has PLENTY of
power for this car, in fact I don't like to drive it in the wet because the
car is so squirrelly (power to weight on reduced friction).  If I really
want, I can burn the tires (205/60's) in every gear- but you don't need to.
The car is a joy to drive, and the Ford engine is only slightly heaver than
the stock spitfire.  I believe any more than this and the car would not be
fun.  Sure It would go like a rocket, but would be so uncontrolable (read
flexible) and a handling nightmare in every day traffic that it would me
miserable to drive!
I guess I'm not as young as I used to be and as the old expression goes,
been there done that.  But if your hearts really set on making a "Funny car
top fulie Spitfire" go for it, have fun,  just don't say I didn't warn ya"

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+