TR6 suspension sag

To: Triumph Digest <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 suspension sag
From: Brian Lanoway <76214.2773@compuserve.com>
Date: 14 Mar 96 21:45:39 EST
Hi everyone.  While the TR6 is still stored away from the snow
I thought I would order the parts required to shore up
its sagging rear suspension.

I'm considering replacing the rear springs and all the related
rubber bushes, blanking plugs, spring collars and shock
absorber bushes in and around the trailing arms and wonder if
anyone on the list has advice regarding this.

1.  I'm considering using the stock rear springs from
Moss.  I've talked to others who have used the mild
competition springs from TRF but had some problems using the
stock shocks with same.  Should I use the stock springs?
Is Moss the best source for same?  Are there better springs?
As an alternative, should I keep the springs I've got and
use the aluminum "packing pieces" available from Moss -
these are apparently factory correct and are used to
compensate for the sagging springs.

2.  Is there anything I should watch out for in this operation?
Is there anything I should know about replacing the
trailing arm bushings?  I have been warned to watch out for
worn rear axle bearings.  Is there any easy way to check these
for wear?

Of course, there's an easy alternative. One LBC wag suggested
that I leave the whole rear end alone.  He said it just
wouldn't be a proper TR without the "/--\" sag!

Thanks in advance for any help out there.

Brian Lanoway
73 TR6