Re:TR6 suspension sag

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:TR6 suspension sag
From: Gary <gklein@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:38:09 -0500
On 14 March Brian wrote:

>I'm considering replacing the rear springs and all the related
>rubber bushes, blanking plugs, spring collars and shock
>absorber bushes in and around the trailing arms and wonder if
>anyone on the list has advice regarding this.

Brian,

I performed the same operation last winter and had no problems.  I used
the TRF mild comp springs, replaced the shocks with stock grade rebuilds
from Apple Hydraulics (encountered no reassembly problems or drivability
problems) and I used stock grade bushings.  I replaced the other rubber
bits too.

Getting the old bushings out can be a problem but getting the new ones
in will be even harder without this trick I came up with (Perhaps
someone's come up with a similiar one too).  Get yourself a long length
of threaded rod (24" of #10 should do), some 1" diameter washers and 3
#10 nuts.  What you want to do is to insert the threaded rod through
both of the old bushings centers and arrange the washers and nuts on the
outside edges of both bushings, using a second nut to lock the first on
one end.  This will be the bushing you pull through when you then turn
the nut on the opposite end of the rod.  (You'll have to install a pair
of locked nuts between the two bushes, as I recall, to keep the rod from
turning.)  The bushing will come right out.  The same operation to
remove the second bushing will work if you've got something to span the
now removed bushing hole and hold the rod for the washer to pull
against.

Now to install them, a similiar convention will need to be followed but
in reverse.  Thread the rod through one new bushing and through the
second open bushing's hole.  Spread a light coating of dishwashing
liquid over the new bushing then slowly crank the opposite nut until the
bush is pulled through and centered.  Follow the same proceedure for the
second bushing.  It's easy.

BTW, I discovered 2 out of the 6 studs which hold the hub assembly in
place were stripped, obviously done by the previous owner's mechanic.
The trailing arms are aluminum.  Check yours and repair as necessary and
then watch your torque settings upon reassembly.

Good Luck,

Gary
'75 TR6