Re: RE: FWD>RE>2 More questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: FWD>RE>2 More questions
From: Richard Endersby <Richard@riggins.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 08:06:41 GMT
In Mark Gendron's message dated Thursday 7, September 1995  :

> Given the high price of these solenoids, and the fact that most failures
> are due to continuous engagement at the higher current, I wonder whether a
> simple solid-state timer could be fabricated, to take over this function?
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Are there any EE types out there who would like to tackle this one?   :-)
>
> -mg

I am looking at this myself at the moment, but rather than using a solid state
device, I am planning to use a thermal fuse which will blow after 5 seconds or
 so.  The theory is that if the initial 20A which pulls in the solenoid plunger
stays on (ie continous engagement) the thermal fuse will blow after several
seconds.

I plan to use a fuse rated at 10-15A, which I think should do the trick.

In the UK the fuses are available through RS Components and cost 3-4pounds.

I'll let you know if it works.

--
Richard Endersby