Re: 2 More questions

Subject: Re: 2 More questions
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 13:53:10 -0400 "RE: 2 More questions" (Sep 7, 7:45am)
> Subject: RE: 2 More questions
>
> John Mardesich observed:
>
> > 1) While under my car, I noticed that the driveshaft appears not to be
> > centered in the tunnel toward the differential -sorry, hypoid- end of the
> > driveshaft.

[snip]

Well, I have been thinking about this, and I have interpreted it a
little different than Kevin.

I think that John is saying that there is a misalignment from side
to side of the driveshaft. (really bad ascii art follows)

    ------------------   Front axle

         |     |
          \   /
           | |           Transmission
            -
            \
             \           Driveshaft
              \

If this is the case, then the differential mounting is out of alignment,
and the car has probably been "crabbing" down the road and showing rapid
rear tire wear. This can be caused by the frame being misaligned from
new (not likely), a DPO bodge/restoration (possibly) or being hit and
not repaired correctly (most likely).

If John is referring to a misalignment is in the vertical direction,
ie higher at one end than the other, then what Kevin wrote is basically
correct.

Doug Mitchell