hi all

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: hi all
From: Antony <antony@antgel.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 01:12:40 +0100
Hello everyone,

I'm here because I have a Midget with the 1500 engine.  Some people on
the spridgets list thought I might be better off discussing lump-related
questions over here, as most of them have 1275 or others...

I've done quite a lot of work to the car over the last six months or so.
When I got it, it was conking out the whole time, and overheating like a
git!  I've rebuilt the heater, replaced the heater and rad hoses,
installed an electronic ignition and new coil, new rad, reset the
ignition timing (way off!), new thermostat, tuned the carbs, new plugs,
new coolant and oil, and various other bits and pieces.

It now runs better, and idles quite smoothly at about 650.

I had an overheating issue when I put it all back together, not
realising that the expansion tank nozzle was totally blocked!  After
unblocking with a piece of wire, I checked the thermostat in a pan of
water, and it looked ok, so I reused it.  All was much better, needle at
the N, and up to 3/4 in town driving.  My other car's a Jag, hence I
feel much more comfortable with an N reading all the way, but I don't
know if these cars play to different rules.

I went for my first longish fast drive today - about 35 miles each way,
averaging 50/60 mph.  At these speeds, I would expect to get an N on the
temp gauge, but it kept climbing.  It never reached the H, but might
have been a couple of needle widths away.  So any problem that I do have
isn't related to the fan etc.  I don't think any coolant is blowing out
of the cap.

I must admit when I drained the coolant, I didn't drain the block, so
my refill may not have enough coolant in the mix.  I've checked the
expansion tank, and it's half-full, so I don't think anything is
leaking.

I know these engines do have a reputation for getting hot, especially in
the cramped Midget bay, but surely a well-maintained one shouldn't?  I
don't have an oil cooler or an electric fan, both of which I would
consider, but I don't want to bodge something on if there is a problem
that needs fixing.

Any comments will be much appreciated, and I apologise for being kind of
off-topic.  :)

Now playing: Genesis - Behind The Lines