RE: hi all

To: "'Antony'" <antony@antgel.co.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: hi all
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:46:03 +0100
To be honest, this warm running doesn't sound that unusual for the 1500
engine.  Spitfire temp gauges don't have 'N' and 'H' marks, just a gauge
divided up into quarters, and many owners (myself included) report gauges
running at 3/4 during normal running.

One cheap thing to try is that radiator flush stuff you can get at car parts
stores - might help clear out any crud in the coolant passages in the
engine.  However, this might help reduce temperatures in the metal of the
engine, but would increase the temperature of the coolant (better heat
transfer between the two) - and since you say you've got a new rad there is
no crud to clean out there.  So that won't make your gauge read any lower!

I have heard good reports of products like 'water wetter' that improve the
heat transfer between the coolant and the metal of the radiator.

If you are running around 50-60mph you are getting plenty of air through
your radiator (or should be), so I doubt that adding an electric fan will
improve temperatures in this sort of driving.  It might be worth checking
that everything is as it should be for forcing air through the radiator -
Spitfires have some rather flimsy cardboard panels that direct air through
the radiator (or at least stop it spilling around the side), and owners have
reported that having these missing has caused overheating issues.

Sorry I can't provide a more definitive answer!

Richard

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.