Re: [triumph_herald] Don't take no for an answer (very very

To: "Kevin Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Don't take no for an answer (very very
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:44:47 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>

> For the edification of the non-UK members on the list - what is the big
> deal about having a "Q" plate anyway? I more-or-less understand the UK
> age-related numberplate system, but why is this considered such a shame,
> and why would the registering body care anyway?

Hi Kevin,
    A car is issued with  a 'Q' plate when it is a a "vehicle of indeterminate
origin". This has a number of implications, insurance rates for example can be
affected. I'm uncertain what impact it has on the cost of road tax, pre 1973
built vehicles currently enjoying a "Historic Vehicle" tax exemption.
Presumably if a vehicle's age can not be established to the sattisfaction of
the registration authorities then it would remain taxable. There's also the
issue of the owner's right to put age-appropriate numberplates with a black
background on the vehicle. Other constrruction and use regulations might also
come into effect which would not otherwise be relevant to a vehicle above a
certain age, most such regulations not being retrospective in the UK.
    Above and beyond all this, the vehicle would simply look wrong - no new car
sold in the UK has ever carried a 'Q' registration. Such a registration will
always have an impact on the re-sale value of a vehicle as most people will be
instantly suspicious of such a registration. Once the 'Q' plate is issued, it
cannot be removed unless the owenr can later prove the provenance of the
vehicle, in which case the original or an appropriate age-related number will
be issued.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--