Re: pulling an engine without a engine lift

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pulling an engine without a engine lift
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:03:37 -0500
Greetings, Fellow Listers,

I realize that this thread started with a request for ideas on how to pull a
Spit engine without a hoist.  Many good points have been made since.  But,
having just pulled my second engine in a month using a hoist, I have to ask
why?  IMHO, a hoist is the only way to go.  I was able to rent one for the
day for $25.  After all of the misc. stuff was disconnected it took about 10
minutes to hook onto the engine and get it out of the car.  Another 10
minutes had the transmission off and the engine hung on the stand.  It was
painless, and I was able to do it myself.  Definitely the right tool for the
job.  I know everyone's situation is different, and a rental hoist may not
be available.  But, it is worth the time to track one down if at all
possible.  You won't regret it.

BillG
'74 Spit with engine removed for use as a boat anchor
'73 Spit with engine removed for rebuilding
'71 GT6 hoping to keep it's engine intact