re: highway driving

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: re: highway driving
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:44:10 +0100 (BST)
I have found that my spit ('77 1500) feels a lot more skittish since I
have taken the hard top off and put the soft top on.  I drove on the
motorway last weekend with the top down, and that was a bit hairy,
although last time I drove on the motorway (with hardtop) the car felt
lot more solid and much less likely to take off or change direction
when
I hit a bump in the road.  I guess that a fair bit of road-holding
ability comes from the chassis rigidity, of which the hardtop
contributes
to a fair bit I'd say...

I'm not sure what speed I drive at because I don't think my speedo is
that accurate when going at 70+, seems ok lower down the range though.  I
have done quite a few motorway journeys and I have done them in a similar
sort of time that I would a modern car, so I would guess that I must be
doing at least 80mph, I have an OD and usually cruise at 3500rpm for a
bit and then back off to give the engine a rest, anyone know roughly what
speed I would be doing in OD top?

In this months TSSC courier magazine there was an article about making
an air dam for the front of the spit, I wonder how much this would
improve
the handling?  Have any of you made an air dam for your Spit?

On the local news last night there was a feature about a kit car that
some bloke built that could do 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, and go faster than
a formula 1 car!  They didn't give any details about the car, although it
looked a bit like a Caterham 7, talking of which I saw one the other
day.

I think I'll buy one when I'm rich and famous...

oh yeah I saw a lime green rag-top TR7 too...

cheers
John
http://www.spit1500.co.uk/

> > Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:00:39 -0500
> > From: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>
> > Subject: RE: Highway driving
> >
> > My wifes car is by no means a daily driver, but I took it to work a
> > couple
> > times on the highway.  The fastest I got going was about 75 MPH.  It
> > seemed
> > fine as long as the road was smooth.  Any little bump though made it
> > feel
> > like the car was going to leave the road.  The thing that really
> > bothered me
> > on the highway was the size of the car.  I live in MN, and it seems
> > like 90%
> > of the vehicles here are fullsized Pickups or Sport Utes.

> > Chuck Pedretti

///