Re: Highway driving

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Highway driving
From: reed mideke <rfm@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:44:45 -0700
Andre Rousseau wrote:

> Do many of you take your cars on the highway?
>
> Last night I was going down a back road, I hit 80KM/H and felt that was
> fast enough.
80 KM/H ? thats only like 50 MPH right ?

Being my only car, I drive mine on the highway a lot. When I first
got it, it was quite frightening, but you get used to it. I always
leave plenty of space in front of me, and when people tailgate, I let
them by or speed up. Traffic around here goes about 65-80 (MPH), when
it is not going 6-8.

My brother and I drove my (engine swapped) spit 900 miles in one day
(Santa Cruz, CA, to Tucson AZ), mostly on the interstates. Average
speed (including all stops) was about 60 MPH. When we stopped for gas,
the guy in the CRX we had been traveling with for about 100 miles pulled
into the same station and said ...
"damn you were moving right along"
My speedo doesn't work (I do have an estimate based on gear
and tach) so I reply "hmmm, how fast were you going ?"
Him "about 90 mph"
Oops.

After traveling several hours at 85+ MPH, 60 feels like you could get
out and walk (which is odd, because when you first start driving
a spit, 60 feels like you are going really fast).

As far as noise goes, my car has two glass packs in line. It is very
quite at idle, but fairly loud above about 3500 rpm. After the
first few hours at 4000-5000 rpm, it gets kind of wearing.

> It was great and scary all at the same time.
>
> But I dont think I want to push the car beyond those speeds or can the
> car handle them?

My car starts to feel very floaty over 90 MPH. It pretty
much feels fine below that, but twisty roads between 20-50 MPH
is where it realy shines.

[...]

--
Reed Mideke
email: rfm(at)cruzers.com  -If that fails:  rfm(at)portalofevil.com

///