Favorite engine swap?

To: spit <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Favorite engine swap?
From: Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@fairchildsemi.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:30:44 -0400
Looking for collective wisdom here.  I have a second Spitfire just
laying around that has been a donor for my restoration project.  It
primarily needs an engine and transmission.  Wondering what engines
people have shoehorned into their Spitfires?  I would prefer to stay
with a 4 cylinder to maintain weight distribution.

I happen to have a couple 2.2L K car (Chrysler) motors laying around
that look like they would work rather well (exhaust/intake on the
correct side, low deck height as the engine is about 15 degrees off
straight up and down) and I hear it will mate up to a Jeep 5 speed
transmission with a minor mod.  Anyone done this?  A 2.2 L engine is
good for 93-108 HP and is pretty economical to run (I get about 30MPG in
my Dodge Charger with a 5 speed).

Regards
Howard in Maine

///