RE: Oil coolers and rocker feeders

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil coolers and rocker feeders
From: Dean Rayner <deanr@saville.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:19:50 +0100
>I have a general question on this string...
>On the side of my 71 Spit along the bulge for the cam are a series of bolts,
>7/16" dia. that look like they should have some purpose. Are they casting
>holes that have been tapped and the bolts used to fill the holes or some
>secret to boost HP by 100 ?

They are to give access to the internal oil ways when they were
initially drilled.  The bulge isn't the cam, it is the oil gallery,
the cam is above that.

The oil gallery is a tube which runs from front to back of the engine
and distributes oil to the main bearings and also to the cam and to
the top of the engine.  To enable these internal oil ways to be
drilled, holes must be made in the outer casting of the block. These
are later plugged with bolts and copper washers.

How do I know so much, you ask?  My engine is currently spread all
over the workshop!!

-----
Dean Rayner