[Shop-talk] Remodeling insulation

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Remodeling insulation
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:17:13 -0600
I've removed the lath and plaster from the outside wall of one of our rooms
(shop content - the garage is 15 feet south of this room), in preparation
for replacing the windows.  This is an 1871 house that was gutted, moved,
and renovated in 1951 - and there were changes made in this area.  Now I
have complete access to the wall, and want to insulate it - the house has no
wall insulation otherwise.  Problem is, because of the small size (12' x 9',
less 2 large windows) of the wall and the previous remodeling, I have extra
studs, some an inch apart.  There are only two cavities where batts will
make sense - rest will have to be just stuffed.  Also, the weather
protection on the outside was the 1951-standard tar paper over the board
sheeting, under the siding (they stripped the original 4" siding and
installed new redwood siding in 1951).  It's not even there around the
windows, and I need to at least stick flashing way up around the new
windows.

The idea of foaming the whole wall is very appealing - it'll provide
insulation and seal the many air leaks.  Now, I can stick my hand out around
the windows with the trim off.  I've seen (maybe This Old House) people just
foam into the cavities of an old house, right onto the inside of the
sheeting and the studs,  with no other preparation.  I could easily do that
with a few cans of polyurethane foam from the big box store.  Is that a
legitimate way to approach this?

TIA

Karl

Pilots -