Re: [Shop-talk] Remodeling insulation

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Remodeling insulation
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:01:07 -0500
On 2/22/2012 10:15 AM, Karl Vacek wrote:
> OK - I'll be careful about the canned foam over-expanding.  I've seen
> low-expansion stuff in cans at Menards or somewhere, so I'll try for some of
> that.  However, I tried some low-expansion latex foam 6-7 years ago and it

I think Great Stuff stopped selling the mega-expanding stuff years ago,
because so many people were not following instructions and causing
trouble with it.  I've currently seen a "large gap filler" - it cures
rigid, but doesn't expand anywhere near as much as the original stuff.
Then there's a "door & window" with minimal expansion that stays spongy
after curing.

> More to my main concern (which I never really stated), is whether it's at
> all advisable to first try to line the areas with Tyvek house wrap or
> similar, or just foam directly into the little spaces.  Or at least on the
> several wider spaces where I can use fiberglass batts, should I try to line

A friend has a new home under construction and got the whole thing spray
foamed.  Apparently it's considered to act as vapor barrier and
insulation.  They just shot the stuff directly on the inside of the wall
and roof sheathing.

-wayne

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums