Re: [Shop-talk] Remodeling insulation

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Remodeling insulation
From: Scott <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:30:31 -0500
I don't think you use "Great Stuff", but they do make DIY insulating
foam kits to do just what you're suggesting.  Looks like a large Freon
tank and some hoses and a Tyvek suit.

I might not understand, but if you've got the wall completely open, I'd
use the foam, either you doing it or hiring someone. If it over-expands,
they just 'shave' it off flush with the studs.  Various kinds of foam
have different issues--some are incredibly toxic if they catch fire,
some are fire resistant, some 'settle' or compact and lose R-value over
time more than others, but I think any of them could be must better in
your application than fiberglass.

This is all from memory of a Fine Homebuilding magazine article a year
or two ago. I can try to dig it up if you'd like.

Scott

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums