Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot

To: "'shop-talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:40:07 -0800
> One other point:  The classic non-compact fluorescent fixture with
> tube bulbs has immediate full brightness AND higher efficiency than CFs.

Are you sure about that?  Those old magnetic ballasts weren't very good and
there are still a lot of them around.  Their power consumption doesn't
usually get included in the fixture rating; while the CFL does.

Also had lousy power factor, which means the loss in the wires is higher
than it would be otherwise.

Or by "classic fixture", did you mean one with a modern, electronic ballast
and high efficiency bulbs?

I'm slowly changing out the magnetic ballasts in my garage/shop, and it's
not unusual to find discolored paint from the ballast getting hot.

Randall