Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "Mullen, J T \(IT\)"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dimmable CFLs at Home Depot
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:46:14 -0800 (PST)
I wouldn't consider a garage door opener to be a good application for CF bulbs.
 When the door opens, you want the illumination right away, instead of having
to wait a minute for a CF bulb to reach a reasonable brightness.  Also, I can't
imagine a garage door opener light being on for more than 15 minutes a day, so
it would take a long time for the CF to pay for itself.

In my house, I put CF bulbs in places like the kitchen and family room, which
tend to stay lit for a while.  But the hallways, stairs, and bathrooms still
have regular bulbs, since when you turn those lights on, you need to be able to
see right away, and they are likely to be off again in a minute or two.

Doug