Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:38:07 -0700
> That's about right.  Subaru had some really funky carbs.
>> Honda has engine management down so well, my 2006 Acura RSX doesn't even
>> have an EGR valve :) No pollution controls on the thing other than the
>> cat'. Makes for a nice clean engine compartment; 200HP from 122 cubes
>> is cool, as is 11:1 compression on pump gas. In fact, it has the fewest
>> smog devices of any car I've ever owned, and that's going back to a 1973
>> Olds Cutlass.
>
> It's got oxygen sensors.  It's got EVAP stuff.  And it's got that computer.

Yeah, depends on what you consider a 'smog device'.  I can't think of
any car I've seen that's got VVT that's still got an external EGR valve
- variable cam timing allows for ECU-driven 'internal EGR'.  In fact,
that's how Ford cost-justified VVT on the Focus.

My E39 M5 has 11:1 static compression, but once again variable cam
timing so the actual in-the-cylinder compression pressure at any given
RPM and load can be diddled somewhat by the ECU.  The new Audi RS6 uses
10.5:1 static CR on its 5-liter V10 - and twin turbos.

Is a low-permeabilty fuel hose or intake-tract rubber boot to meet evap
standards (which are the tough ones to meet these days, apparently) a
'smog device'?  How 'bout the charcoal filter under the air filter on
current 5- and 6-series V8 Bimmers, once again for evap?  IIRC Steve
Dinan says it's worth 10+HP on those cars just to remove the charcoal
filter.

John.