Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 22:45:18 -0400
John Miller wrote:
> Yeah, depends on what you consider a 'smog device'.  I can't think of
> any car I've seen that's got VVT that's still got an external EGR valve
> - variable cam timing allows for ECU-driven 'internal EGR'.  In fact,
> that's how Ford cost-justified VVT on the Focus.

Oh really?!  That's cool.  I was wondering how common that was.  15
years ago we had engines with 2 position hi/lo cam timing, and more
sophisticated stuff seems to be more and more common.  My Acura has 50
degrees of infinitely variable timing on the intake and the VTEC big
cam/little cam on the fly switching.  And BMW has some even fancier
hardware.

> My E39 M5 has 11:1 static compression, but once again variable cam

Sweet Car!!  What year ya' got?  I really kick myself for not getting an
E36 M3 back in the day.  All the used ones I've looked at are "rode hard
& put away wet."  I'm really looking forward to the 1-series htat's
suppposed to be coming out -- correct wheel drive, killer engines, low nass!

> The new Audi RS6 uses10.5:1 static CR on its 5-liter V10 - and twin turbos

Yeah, that's freakin' crazy!!  Remember 1980s turbo engines with like
7:0 compression, "because it has forced induction" hahahha!  I think the
new BMW 335 is also 10-something.

   -Wayne