Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 20:44:32 -0400
malaboge@aol.com wrote:
> Does the "brain" have separate components for each injector

Depends.  Older EFI had "batch fire" where several injectors (like 3 on
a straight 6) were wired together in parallel.  "Sequential fire"
systems control  each one individually.  I'd guess by 1998 even Jeep was
  Sequential;  and from what you describe, it sounds like the driver for
that one may well be fried.  You can probably buy a re-maned computer
for less than you might think.  Maybe $150 at you local parts retailer.
  Or Ebay... or a junkyard...

> Whatever happened to carbs and points.....

Do you really need to ask?  They suck and they're long gone.  Good Riddance.

Actually, I brought the topic up on another mailing list -- "what was
the last vehicle sold in the US with a carb" and somehow a couple guys
determined it was the 1991 Subaru Justy.

Honda has engine management down so well, my 2006 Acura RSX doesn't even
have an EGR valve :)  No pollution controls on the thing other than the
cat'.  Makes for a nice clean engine compartment;  200HP from 122 cubes
is cool, as is 11:1 compression on pump gas.  In fact, it has the fewest
smog devices of any car I've ever owned, and that's going back to a 1973
Olds Cutlass.

   -Wayne