RE: aircraftspruce.com - spam

To: "Mullen,Tim (IIS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>,
Subject: RE: aircraftspruce.com - spam
From: "pethier@isd.net" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:33:31 -0600
> It depends.  I used to have a 28K dial up connection.  I'd
> get about 300 emails a day, about 75 real and the rest
> spam.  Sometimes it would take a hour or so to download
> the daily email, including the spam.  Sometimes it would
> hang 45 minutes into it, and it would have to be started
> all over...
>
> I was forced to get a broadband connection at home just to
> cope with the spam.  Now the downloads happen stupidly
> fast, and the filters and anti-spam software catch most of
> it.  But I also had to upgrade my system to a faster one,
> simply because with all the extra anti-spam, anti-spyware,
> and anti-virus (and all the automatic updates to said
> software) software running, the system was too
> sloooooooooow...
>
> Not that having broadband and a faster machine isn't nice,
> but the old one was doing just fine, and it was an expense
> (and a recurring monthly expense) that was forced on me
> because of the spammers, etc.
>
> Tim Mullen

Tim, I still run a dialup at home.  The trick it to let your
ISP do the heavy work before you download.

I go to webmail at the ISP.  I empty the spam filter at the
ISP.  If at the office, I read the mail on the ISP webmail.

Since the ISP webmail is slow for reading, I do things
different when I am at home on the dialup.  I go to webmail
at the ISP.  I empty the spam filter at the ISP. I sort the
messages by size and delete the ones with attachments.  I
then download my mail and dial off.  I get the best of both
worlds without broadband.

1962 TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1994 Miata
C package
pethier@isd.net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier