RE: aircraftspruce.com - spam

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: aircraftspruce.com - spam
From: "Mullen, Tim (IIS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:37:27 -0500
Steve Shipley wrote:

> Spam can be fun. <...> I can scan and delete
> 50 messages at a time.  Since most spam is
> "personalized" you can give out a name that
> will come back to your inbox to help you
> identify.

It depends.  I used to have a 28K dial up connection.  I'd get about 300
emails a day, about 75 real and the rest spam.  Sometimes it would take
a hour or so to download the daily email, including the spam.  Sometimes
it would hang 45 minutes into it, and it would have to be started all
over...

I was forced to get a broadband connection at home just to cope with the
spam.  Now the downloads happen stupidly fast, and the filters and
anti-spam software catch most of it.  But I also had to upgrade my
system to a faster one, simply because with all the extra anti-spam,
anti-spyware, and anti-virus (and all the automatic updates to said
software) software running, the system was too sloooooooooow...

Not that having broadband and a faster machine isn't nice, but the old
one was doing just fine, and it was an expense (and a recurring monthly
expense) that was forced on me because of the spammers, etc.

Tim Mullen