Re: Tool cabinets ...

To: Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com>
Subject: Re: Tool cabinets ...
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:34:07 -0500
I recently bought a Sears tower, top and base with a middle cabinet included,
for about
$300.  I have other boxes as well, some considerably older, some Sears.

The biggest quality issue for me is drawer slides and the ease with which they
work.
Increased weight in the drawers have a big impact on how well they work.  I am
disappointed with this latest set, and I believe that the characteristics I am
experiencing are the result of the price I wanted to pay.  Something cheaper
than Sears,
then, would be suspect in my mind with how well the drawers are going to work.
I care
little about the color, but like them to be sturdy.  They are simply more
pleasant to
use that way.  Now, maybe there's something to this pop rivet business.  My
thought is
that pop rivets are easy to replace if they're integral to how the system works.

For the same reasons, heavier gauge materials have to be a plus, because if it's
sturdier, it flexes less, and the drawers will work better, it seems to me.