Finish Nailers, was, Re: Framing nailers, HF or other

To: Karl Vacek <KVacek@Ameritech.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Finish Nailers, was, Re: Framing nailers, HF or other
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:20:08 -0400
I don't know about HF, but I do have experience with Porter Cable from Home
Depot.  There is (was?  I got this in 1998) a large model with straight sticks
that went up to a 2.5 inch nail.  To get to the longer sizes a spacer is
inserted in the end of the magazine to help guide it.  What I found at the time
was a huge price jump to get to this capacity.  The $100 and under units only go
to about 2 inches; my Porter Cable sold for about $200.  But, it was well worth
it.  Tiny holes for filling, no rosebuds, and much faster.  I did all the
interior trim on my second floor addition (an "up" on a small ranch house) and
it was worth far more than the $200 when I was through.  And I have used it lots
of times since then.  Even on my shed, with T-111 siding, I glued and then
nailed the siding to the framing with the finish nailer, adjusting only to more
nails than I would have used with conventional nails.  The nails are galvanized
and the holes are so small that they are not noticeable at all, especially after
the opaque stain.