Re: Building a shop

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Building a shop
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:39:06 -0600
John wrote:
> > Does anyone have thoughts on which is better, swamp or AC? My
> > thoughts are
> > swamp coolers are more efficient but take longer to cool the place down.

My part of Texas has 'way too much humidity for "swamp boxes" but if your
figure is 20% or less during the hottest summer, charts indicate a decent
temperature drop of 20-25  degrees.  I went with AC in my 1800 square foot
metal building and I was fortunate to find a very reasonable "take-out" 5
ton unit for cheap.  The biggest surprise is the low monthly expense.  I
guess I was thinking about the $200 - $300 per month that it takes to cool
my 2000 square foot house 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
I only run the shop unit about 40 to 60 hours a month and the bill is $60 to
$70 for the entire shop including serious lighting and 20 power tools and
welders.  A big benefit is the humidity reduction . . which make the
effective cooling much more pleasant and there is NO rust in my shop . .
Make friends with an AC contractor and get in line for a good used
"take-out" unit . .