RE: Building a shop

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Building a shop
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:46:44 -0800
> Does anyone have thoughts on which is better, swamp or AC? My
> thoughts are
> swamp coolers are more efficient but take longer to cool the place down.

John, I don't have a lot of experience with swamp coolers, but I don't
believe that's right.  The guideline for choosing a swamp cooler is that it
should be able to do a complete air change in just two minutes ... which is
PDQ by my standards.  The main issue is that how well they cool depends a
great deal on the humidity outside ... at 50% humidity they will only output
air that is 10 degrees cooler than outside.

> Also it's not insulated yet so I don't have much hope of keeping it cool
> with 10' ceilings and fiberglass roll up doors.

Since swamp coolers work by a continuous stream of cool outside air, rather
than chilling the inside air, they don't need much insulation to be
effective.

However, you will probably want to add plumbing to supply your swamp cooler.
They use a _lot_ of water, since the cooling effect is provided by the water
evaporating.

Randall