Re: Lincoln AC-225

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lincoln AC-225
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:43:42 -0700
Remember that it's your skill with a given welder determines the
machine's suitability.  If the skill came in the box with the welder I'd
be home free.  Your choice is between Gas or MIG in my opinion.  As a
beginner, you really need to find someone to help you get started
whether it's a class or a friend.   Then you need to practice until
you've developed the skill.  In my case, I've found the skill to be more
difficult to acquire than the machinery.  It's not like picking up a
wrench and assembling stuff.   It's being able to see and interpret what
you see.  And the movements are precise.  The reason you practice is to
develop some fine hand / eye coordination.  Anyone who can weld a
variety of metals, of varying thickness, in various positions has put in
a LOT of time welding.  If this is a hobby, I predict you'll find it
challenging.

Steve Shipley
Smith oxy/acetylene
Lincoln Square Wave 175