Re: Lincoln AC-225

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Lincoln AC-225
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:36:08 -0500
>Speed is of no concern. So maybe I can do thicker material in
>multiple passes with the MIG? Maybe get a MIG 135 and accept multiple
>passes for the thicker material? Is that what we are really talking
>about -- multiple vs single pass and speed -- pretty welds vs ugly ones?
>No butt joints for the thick material -- only overlap. Can I do 1/4" or
>5/16" material with a MIG 135. Strong and ugly is OK.

I have an HTP Mig 120, roughly equivalent to the Lincoln sp 125 or
miller/Hobart 135s.  It'll do 100% penetration on 3/16 steel, and so
will the others.  A small 220V mig will do thicker stuff in a single
pass.  If I can get to both sides of the piece,  I can do 5/16 or
3/8ths. If not, you can bevel the edges of butting pieces and do a
root pass to join them, and then two or three more passes to fill the
joint.  Not nearly as fast as being able to just butt them together
and do one pass, but just as strong.  This method is used to join
really, really thick pieces together when using heavy duty equipment.
(Stuff like foot thick armor-plate)

David