Re: Lincoln AC-225

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lincoln AC-225
From: dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 16:41:12 -0700
Don Malling wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> It is both sheet metal and frames. That is the problem. Frames to start,
> sheet metal later.
>
> Someone else suggested to start with gas. Welding classes are not
> available in my area.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don Malling

Don,

Instead of a stick, I would buy a gas rig
first (it will cut, braze, weld, heat, etc.),
most anything you need it to do. A mig is
much better, easier, faster, less distortion
on sheet metal, though.

I bought some very small tips for my Victor
torch, and can do sheet metal, slowly,
carefully with wet towels, etc. A mig would
be much faster.

However, having that "big blue wrench" in the
shop means there is no nut you cannot remove. ;)

Seriously, getting that torch in my garage
was one of the very best things I ever did
for my self (the others include a 30 gallon
tank parts washer and a decent air compressor).

doug shook
los angeles

'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6