Re: Lincoln AC-225

To: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Lincoln AC-225
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:33:20 -0400
Hi Steve,

I will not do a lot of welding.

For the most part, I expect I would buy a MIG, but I have some projects
in mind that would/could require thicker material: Engine hoist, shop
press, 3500# trailer for my TR250 and MGBs, 6' snow blade frame for my
tractor, and general home repair items.

I also plan to replace the sills on my MGB as well as the rear fenders.
Clearly this is MIG/TIG. Sounds like TIG is the best and I already knew
that, but the $$$ is the problem there.

Again, I would simply get a low end MIG if it were not for the need to
do
thicker material.

I see welding as a way to join two pieces of steel. A way to build a
utility trailer. It's not an art form to me -- at least not yet. I make
walnut and cherry furnature in my woodworking shop as an art form.

So the question is: buy a big MIG to cover the thicker material problem,
or buy a low end MIG and something else. Looks like the AC-225 is out of
the question because I only have 40 amps in the garage and it needs 50.

So it's a big MIG -- maybe 175, or something smaller and gas.

Speed is of no concern. So maybe I can do thicker material in
multiple passes with the MIG? Maybe get a MIG 135 and accept multiple
passes for the thicker material? Is that what we are really talking
about -- multiple vs single pass and speed -- pretty welds vs ugly ones?
No butt joints for the thick material -- only overlap. Can I do 1/4" or
5/16" material with a MIG 135. Strong and ugly is OK.

What about gas and brazing? I'm reading that a 1" brazed overlapped
joint
can support the weight of an entire car. Is a MIG 135 and thick material
sort of like brazing -- only overlap joints and multiple passes -- no
butt joints?

I just can't spend $1000.00 for something I'm going to use twice a year.
Maybe once I have it I'll use it a lot.

The Lincoln MIG Pro says 5/16" but I don't believe them. Miller and
Hobart 135 says 3/16". Something doesn't sound right to me.

Don Malling