Re: Lincoln AC-225

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Lincoln AC-225
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:27:13 -0400
Don,

There has been a lot of great advice sent your way so far.  Seems like
there are two camps.  The "save your money and buy a MIG" camp and the
"your better off starting with gas" camp.  I think the question here is
what your goals are.  Are you prepared to invest a lot of time in becoming
a skilled welder?  I have seen skilled welders do amazing things with
gas.  Watching a pro lay down a bead with a gas torch and then hammer it
flat is an experience.  Watching an amateur try to do it is a different
experience completely.  Frustration and a lot of warped sheet metal are
usually involved.  I think the thing that really boosted the popularity of
MIG when it became affordable is that you can do decent work with
relatively little practice and skill.  If your main goal is to get a car
restored, I would say save your pennies and buy the MIG.  Also, I don't
know what sort of car you're working on, but car clubs can be a tremendous
resource.  If you get to know some people, you'll find some who have some
welding equipment.  They will probably show you the ropes, let you try out
some different equipment.  If they think you are a nice guy, they might
even let you borrow some.  :-)

-Steve