Re: acid cleaning

To: Kelley Mascher <mascherk@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: acid cleaning
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:33:37 -0800
Kelley Mascher wrote:

> I have been told that for relatively mild acids you should dilute heavily and
>neutralize them with a base like baking soda or TSP. They can then be dumped
>in your home drain. Not the storm drain. One of the biggest problems treatment
>plants have is the acidity of normal sewage, they have to do a lot of acid
>neutralizing to get back to a balanced ph.

Dilution and neutralization with a base is the correct treatment.  When I was
working in chemical recycling the sewer district where we were located (mostly
residential and offices with some light industrial) had the opposite problem:
the effluent was too high a pH (too much base, not enough acid).  We were
neutralizing sulfuric acid.  Nasty on your
person (don't ask. . .), fairly benign on the environment (at least in the
amounts we dealt with).  I think it (the surplus base) comes from the soaps we
use.

Mark Miller