RE: acid cleaning

To: <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: acid cleaning
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:38:00 -0500
Phosphoric acid is completely landfill disposable provided it's neutralized.
You have ways of disposing of it legally, but it's not convenient or free.

Again, vinegar does the job.  Much less difficult to work with, and cheaper to
boot.

>>> Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net> 02/12/02 01:40PM >>>

My point is, I don't know where you live, but I no longer even have access
to a landfill, much less one that would allow me to show up with a drum of
phosphoric acid and pour it into a ditch.  Disposal of stuff like that is a
serious problem.  Once a year or so, we have a hazardous waste cleanup day,
but I have to drive to some specified location in the county at a
designated time, and they will accept certain things in their original
containers only.  I would have no way...  I mean no legal, environmentally
sound way to dispose of depleted rusty phosphoric acid.