RE: acid cleaning

To: <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: acid cleaning
From: Kelley Mascher <mascherk@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:30:19 -0800
I have been told that for relatively mild acids you should dilute heavily and
neutralize them with a base like baking soda or TSP. They can then be dumped in
your home drain. Not the storm drain. One of the biggest problems treatment
plants have is the acidity of normal sewage, they have to do a lot of acid
neutralizing to get back to a balanced ph.

Keep in mind I'm just repeating things I've heard. Call your local water
treatment plant and give them concentration of phosphoric acid you plan to use.
They should be able to give you advice.

Cheers,

Kelley

At 01:40 PM 2/12/02 -0500, Steven Trovato wrote:

>>I don't know what all winds up in the solution, but phosphoric acid is
>>pretty benign from an environmental point of view.  For example, it's one of
>>the ingredients in Coke !
>>
>>Randall
>

>My point is, I don't know where you live, but I no longer even have access
>to a landfill, much less one that would allow me to show up with a drum of
>phosphoric acid and pour it into a ditch.  Disposal of stuff like that is a
>serious problem.  Once a year or so, we have a hazardous waste cleanup day,
>but I have to drive to some specified location in the county at a
>designated time, and they will accept certain things in their original
>containers only.  I would have no way...  I mean no legal, environmentally
>sound way to dispose of depleted rusty phosphoric acid.
>
>-Steve

Kelley Mascher
206-789-8935
Seattle, Washington USA