Re: acid cleaning

To: Shop-Talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: acid cleaning
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:24:17 -0800 (PST)
I used to work in the pollution abatement field,
designed and built acid neutralizers for the
electronic industry in "silicon valley". It was
interesting to note that the required pH of effluent
from our systems had to be tighter than the incoming
city water supplies, in deed it was technically
illegal to run their water "back to them" as they were
too basic [pH was too high].
The ammonia neutralization techniques were banned as
it was found that sunlight tended to "boil off" these
compounds and return them to acidic state. NaOH
systems were messy but required. We pretty much
neutralized every acid with the NaOH reaction and it
was considered quite acceptable. Heavy metal solutions
required chelating and solid disposals, Iron and steel
would not be among those problem areas. If you decide
to strip your Chrome.Nickel in HCl on the other hand,
there is a big problem with your waste, neutralized or not.

=====
Dennis Hale