Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze
From: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:00:43 -0400
>I beg to differ.  Have used loctite products for many years.  Nuts fixed
>in place with loctite are easily broken loose.  Studs can be double
>nutted and broken loose, or in the case of thread problems, removed with
>a stud puller.  Loctite thread lockers, i.e. 242 or 271 for larger
>fasteners, are intended to keep the fasteners from loosening with
>vibration as does a nyloc nut or lock washer.  Loctite used as intended
>will not prevent later disassembly.  John

I think you are missing the point here !   Studs used in
engine blocks were not intended to be put in with Loc-Tite
or similar products.  There is no problem removing studs
that are not broken (Everyone can do that !)   There is no
way to double nut or use a stud puller to remove the half
that's left in the block.  If you use just plain oil or a little
anti-seize I have been able to remove the piece without
too much trouble.   I invite you to try it after you have
used Loc-Tite on it !    It ain't any fun at all !

Regards, Nils