Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze

To: John Hardy <hardwire@webleicester.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Loc-Tite vs. Anti-Sieze
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 21:16:53 -0500
John Hardy wrote:

> Matt Liggett writes...................
>

> > Everyone,
> >
> > I'm currently drilling out 2 waterpump bolts which are really badly
> > siezed in my A-series block.  When I'm done, I plan to install studs and
> > nuts instead of bolts.  Carroll Smith reccomends the use of Loc-Tite on
> > studs that are installed in a casting.  Makes sense to me, but I also
> > want to Anti-Sieze these buggers so they don't do this to me again!  What
> > to do?  Should I just throw the Loc-Tite out for these paticular items?
> > Will Loc-Tite prevent corrosion?
> >

> Loctite is a wonderful product but it is semi permanent. There is NO
> solvent. I've checked wirth the makers. You could end up drilling the studs
> out again because you cross threaded a nut or something. There is a place
> and a use for these products but I think some discrimination is called for.
> To recommend always using it on castings is a touch reckless. I'll never
> forget the happy evening spent drilling and disintegrating a nut on a
> steering wheel. Seizing is caused by electrolytic action between aluminium
> and steel and a copper grease is best used. In fact use it on everything
> outside the engine.
>
> Blessings be upon you and yours
>
>                       JH
I beg to differ.  Have used loctite products for many years.  Nuts fixed
in place with loctite are easily broken loose.  Studs can be double
nutted and broken loose, or in the case of thread problems, removed with
a stud puller.  Loctite thread lockers, i.e. 242 or 271 for larger
fasteners, are intended to keep the fasteners from loosening with
vibration as does a nyloc nut or lock washer.  Loctite used as intended
will not prevent later disassembly.  John